Monday, January 21, 2013

Saguaro National Park: East: Garwood Loop Trail

This hike begins in Saguaro National Park East from the Douglas Spring Trailhead. It is a 5.6 mile roundtrip hike with 730ft. of total elevation gain. I would consider it a moderate hike as the elevation is spread out over the length of the hike and takes place on a well-marked and established trail.


There are many interconnected trails in this section of the park and it can be confusing if you don't have a picture of the map with you while hiking. I found that by taking a picture of the map at the trailhead and consulting it at trail intersections I was able to find my way without becoming lost.


This hike provides excellent views of the Santa Catalina Mountains outside Tucson. I was amazed at how quickly they rise off the valley floor to over 9,000ft.


The dearth of flora on this hike abounds as there are innumerable species of cacti, desert shrubs  and trees along the trail. Although a "desert" landscape I was amazed by all of the plant life surrounding me in Saguaro NP.

I highly recommend planning your hike around sunset as the highest point of the hike provides an amazing panoramic view of the desert, mountains, Tucson and Saguaro cacti. From the highest point in the hike it is only 25 minutes to the trailhead so you can easily make it back to your car before it is too dark to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment